Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nyobeng Eve

14June2010, about 5 pm, finally all of us have been allocated accomodation.

All the members of the Kampung Suba Buan Cultural Troupe, including Ketua Kampung Jimbei and Pak John and all our lady members put up at my relative's house, bori Ibu Nyolim.

Feeling overcrowded with only one water closet at Ibu Nyolim's house, Ani Solep, Puan Kendy, Jawai, Antoinette, and Jomas decided to put up in a chalet. They were welcome back for dinner at bori Nyolim, or any other houses. It was Open House on 14 - 15 June 2010.

The simple chalet can easily accommodate several visitors. It is equipped with a water closet, a rottan mattress without pillow...kasihan our ladies. Well that is part of the tradition of nomi gawia. Since it is at the edge of a forest, together they must have donated a pint of blood.

Dr Patau's entourage had arrived too. I could see that Dr Patau was limping, and he walked aided by a walking stick.

Pak Abui, my other relative from his wife, was waiting for me. Together we left for his house. In 2008, myself and a group of SDNU members also stayed at his house. BiSebujit (people of Sebujit) always feel honoured to have pinomi (visitors) from Sarawak.

Arriving at Pak Abui's house, Nyolim was already waiting for me. She insisted that I put up at her house since last time I already put up at Pak Abui's house. I had to apologise and explained that it was not that I did not appreciate our blood relationship, but her house was already crowded with our cultural performers.

After dinner of kauh doot, panggang bojig tipiyu, kauh ikian and of course oyuo kupuo, Peh and I visited Pak Petrus at his chalet. We dressed up in traditional Dayak warrior costume. We went to the arena to see cultural and singing performances. Later we went to Pak Gunawan's house. Along the way, the three of us suddenly became instant celebrities. The bystanders, people from the varendah and some we met along the way, stopped us for photo session.

I am not used to being photographed at. I am more used to photograph other people. I began to dislike it as it was not me whom the 'fan' wanted, but the costume.

Muller, the Sarawak Tribune reporter was with us at Gunawan's house. He interviewed Pak Petrus and Pak Gunawan.

At about 11 pm, I left the group for Pak Abui's house to retire.

It was perhaps only at about 5 am before I could sleep: aching body, the noise, strange bed, tummy too full because of too much rice ( it is normal that we tend to eat lots of rice when we eat kauh doot) and the footsteps of other guests going in and out of the house.

My Tricajus did give me lots of energy for the journey, but it was not able to retard the muscle pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment